Saturday, October 17, 2009

Our New Chapter



So as you read below, Tango is home and we are getting to know eachother again. Yesterday I went out for my first dressage lesson with Lindsey. She likes Tango, but like most dressage trainers would, is encouraging me to stick strictly with dressage. She says his best natural gaits are his walk and canter. She thinks his trot is a "6" but she says that is okay because as you move up in levels, you get the most emphasis on the canter which he is naturally cadenced at.


I have a lot to learn. For instance, I don't know what a 20, 10, 5 meter circle is, or what my touch points should be for a circle or serpentine. Pretty basic stuff. I am a western rider...the only thing you need to know is slow and steady. Now I'm doing a "pattern" and trying to teach myself about lengthenings, extensions, speeds, collection, going to the bit, cadence and trying to do it all so that it is pretty and my horse and I look like we have "harmony".


I have to say, Tango was so considerate and did everything I asked of him. I could not be happier with the job Ron and Josie did with him. I also couldn't be happier with Lindsey's teaching methods. I feel like I get praise all the time, and really great visuals. I think our biggest obstacles are going to be getting Tango to get a true extension and using his back. And of course I'm going to need to do some studying of tests and watching some videos to get an idea of what I'm up against! I really welcome the challenge though, as Lindsey thinks we will be very competitive at training and first level. I hope she's right!


After our lesson was over and Lindsey and I were discussing how it had gone, and she felt that he was a very well trained horse who will be very patient with me while I am learning. She thinks that he will do well in the training level this year, and that during my lesson she thought he had an "8" canter, and his walk is pushing that as well that we may perhaps have the ability to score in the mid-seventies this year, which would definately give us a shot at a Top Five at regionals, and if we continued to progress, may even be competitive at Nationals!

No comments: